WESTERN UNION (WU) Stocks
ABOUT WESTERN UNION
? Western Union Company is a global leader in payment and money movement services, whether cross-border or cross-currency. The company serves small businesses, families, non-government organizations and global corporations. The company’s portfolio includes approximately 800 million transactions annually through retail, digital and mobile channels (an estimated 34 transactions every second).
Nearly US Dollar 300 billion are moved annually in almost 130 currencies. Western Union has more than 550 000 agent locations world-wide in more than 200 countries and locations.
Western Union operates through two segments. Its Consumer-to-Consumer segment offers individual money transfers. The company’s Business Solutions segment offers services to facilitate foreign exchange solutions and payments for cross-border and cross-currency transactions for various businesses, individuals and organizations.
Western Union Company is an S&P 500 component. The company’s headquarters is in Meridian, Colorado. Western Union employs approximately 12 000 people in its various locations around the globe.
You might also like: WESTERN DIGITAL STOCKS
HISTORY OF WESTERN UNION
- The New York and Mississippi Valley Printing Telegraph Company is founded in 1851 by Samuel L. Selden and Hiram Sibley. The company is started in New York to create an efficient telegraph system.
- In 1856 the company merges with New York & Western Union Telegraph Company. The newly formed company is named Western Union Telegraph Company.
- By 1860 the company has purchased several small businesses and expands its portfolio to other areas of the country. In 1881 Jay Gould takes control of the company.
- In the 1970’s the telephone starts replacing the telegraph and the company looks to money transfer to become its new goal.
- In 1884 Western Union is one of the original 11 American companies to start trading on the New York Stock Exchange. By the 1900’s more than a million miles of telegraph line and two international undersea cables are operated by the company. During the next few years Western Union purchases more than 500 smaller businesses. In 1943 the company buys its biggest competitor, Postal Telegraph, Inc.
- In 1974 Western Union is the first telecommunications company in America to have its own geosynchronous communications satellites called Westar. Its satellite transponders are leased by other businesses for its radio, data, voice and facsimile options. Western Union buys a fifty percent interest in Airfone in 1981.
- In 1986 GTE purchases Airfone from Western Union for a price of US Dollar 39 million. The next couple of years is a series of acquisitions and organic growth within Western Union Company.
VISION & VALUES OF WESTERN UNION
- Western Union Company’s mission is to provide opportunities to educate people that will lead to job placements and a better future. Its program, Educate for Better, will provide opportunities for more than 50 000 people by the year 2022.
- The company’s scholarship program, WU Scholars, supports students who pursues business, entrepreneurship, science, engineering and mathematics.
- The company will achieve its goal of providing 50 000 refugees, women, youth and migrants with equal access to the economy by 2022.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF WESTERN UNION
- Western Union Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE stock symbol “WU”.
- Data analysis for the company’s quarterly period ending June 30, 2019 reports revenues of US Dollar 1,340.5 million. Total expenses are US Dollar 1,081.6 million and total assets are US Dollar 9,043.3 million. Operating income for the reported period is US Dollar 258.9 million and net income is US Dollar 614.8 million.
- Comprehensive income is US Dollar 620.7 million. Cash dividends paid for six months are US Dollar 172.9 million.
You might also like: WELLCARE HEALTH PLANS STOCKS
LATEST NEWS WESTERN UNION
Buy WESTERN UNION stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase WESTERN UNION Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy WESTERN UNION Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN WESTERN UNION STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE WESTERN UNION STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of WESTERN UNION stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy WESTERN UNION stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : WATERS STOCKS