WESTERN DIGITAL (WDC) Stocks
ABOUT WESTERN DIGITAL
? Western Digital Corporation (known as Western Digital and WD), an American information technology company, was incorporated on October 26, 2000 and has its headquarters in San Jose, California. The company designs, manufactures and sells data technology products such as storage devices, data center systems and cloud storage services. WD boasts a long history in the industry as an integrated circuit maker and a storage products company.
The company was founded in 1970 by Alvin B. Phillips as General Digital. The company began as a test equipment manufacturer but quickly became a specialty semiconductor maker. The company was financed by Emerson Electric Company. In 1971 the company changed its name to Western Digital Corporation.
Some of the company’s best known products include the MCP-1600 multichip, microcoded CPU used to implement DEC’S LSI-11 system and its own Pascal MicroEngine microcomputer which ran the UCSD p-System Version 111 and UCSD Pascal, as well as the 1171 chip.
The company markets its products under the HGST, SanDisk and WD brands through distribution, retail and direct channels worldwide.
Today, the company employs approximately 72 000 people across its operations.
HISTORY OF WESTERN DIGITAL
- Western Digital Corporation’s product portfolio is divided into three categories: Datacenter Devices and Solutions, Client Devices and Client Solutions. The Datacenter Devices and Solutions segment comprises high-performance HDDs for use in enterprise servers, data analysis and other enterprise applications, as well as to support online transactions.
- It also includes a variety of high-capacity HDDs for use in data storage systems and tiered storage models. This division also supplies enterprise SSDs and software solutions to improve performance in various enterprise workload environments. Other products include data storage platforms and systems and system solutions such as the InfiniFlash System.
- The Client Devices segment comprises HDDs and SSDs for desktop PCs, notebook PCs, security surveillance systems, gaming consoles. It also supplies embedded NAND-flash storage for mobile phones, tablets, notebook PCs and other portable devices.
- The Client Solutions segment includes HDDs embedded into WD- and HGST-branded external storage products as well as SanDisk-branded removable NAND-flash products. Its USB flash drives are used in the computing and consumer markets.
- This division also supplies wireless drive products that allow in-field backup of created content, as well as wireless streaming of movies, photos, smartphones, music and documents to tablets and PCs.
VISION & VALUES OF WESTERN DIGITAL
- Western Digital Corporation is fully committed to sound corporate sustainability in all aspects of its business practices. This business ethos fosters trust and adds value for shareholders who purchase company shares.
- The company conducts its business honestly and ethically and promotes compliance with applicable laws and regulations. It further values integrity, openness, accountability and open communication and strives to deliver extraordinary customer experiences.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF WESTERN DIGITAL
- Western Digital Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “WDC”. The company is an S&P component.
- In fiscal 2018, the company recorded record revenue of USUS Dollar 20.65 billion, operating income of USUS Dollar 3.6 billion and net income of USUS Dollar 675 million, or US Dollar 2.20 per share.
- This is a considerable increase over 2017’s revenue of USUS Dollar 19.1 billion, operating income of USUS Dollar 2.0 billion and net income of USUS Dollar 397 million, or US Dollar 1.34 per share. Shareholders can therefore buy or sell company shares in the expectation of sound dividends and returns.
LATEST NEWS WESTERN DIGITAL
Buy WESTERN DIGITAL stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase WESTERN DIGITAL Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy WESTERN DIGITAL Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN WESTERN DIGITAL STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE WESTERN DIGITAL STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of WESTERN DIGITAL stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy WESTERN DIGITAL stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?