NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC (NG) Shares
ABOUT NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC
National Grid Group plc is a multinational electricity and gas utility company with a history dating back to the 1990s following the break-up of Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) into four separate companies. Of the four companies, National Grid assumed the transmission activities, and was owned through twelve regional electricity companies under the holding company, National Grid Group PLC.
National Grid as it exists today was formed through a series of acquisitions carried out in the 2000s. This expansion process began with the purchase of New England Electric System and Eastern Utilities Associates in 2000. This was followed by the acquisition of New York State-based utility, Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation, in 2002.
In that same year the Group made the decision to merge with Lattice Group plc, owner of the Transco gas distribution business, and changed its name to National Grid Transco PLC.
In July 2005, National Grid Transco was renamed National Grid plc. On 26 July 2005, National Grid Company was renamed National Grid Electricity Transmission plc, and on 10 October 2005, Transco was renamed National Grid Gas plc.
The Group came to cement its position in 2006 when it decided to buy KeySpan Corporation, a US-based gas distributor and electricity producer, as well as the acquisition of New England Gas Company. These acquisitions doubled the size of National Grid’s American subsidiary, creating the second largest utility in the United States with more than 8 million customers.
Today, the Group is one of the world’s largest investor-owned energy companies, with principal operations in electricity and gas transmission and distribution, as well as National Grid Ventures.
OVERVIEW OF NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC
- National Grid Group plc oversees a high-value portfolio with operations in the UK and the US.
- The Group’s key operations in the UK include electricity transmission, gas transmission, system operation and other commercial activities. The Group owns and operates the electricity transmission network in England and Wales, and operates the Scottish networks.
- Its networks comprise approximately 7,200 kilometres (4,474 miles) of overhead line, 1,500 kilometres (932 miles) of underground cable and 342 substations.
- The Group’s gas transmission network comprises approximately 7,660 kilometres (4,760 miles) of high-pressure pipe and 618 above-ground installations.
- The Group’s other UK activities involve businesses operating in competitive markets outside of its key operations, including interconnectors, gas metering activities and a liquefied natural gas (LNG) importation terminal. National Grid Property is responsible for the management, clean-up and disposal of surplus sites in the UK.
- The Group’s key US operations mainly involve electricity and gas transmission, as well as other non-regulated activities. The Group owns and operates transmission facilities across upstate New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
- It owns and operates electricity distribution networks in upstate New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, serving approximately 3.4 million customers.
- Its gas distribution networks run across the north eastern US, located in upstate New York, New York City, Long Island, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, delivering gas to approximately 3.6 million customers.
VISION & VALUES OF NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC
National Grid Group plc‘s core ethos is centred on values of community, sustainability, and the environment. To this end, the Group has partnered with charity organisations and provided communities with one-off grants to support their social, economic and environmental development.
The Group works to lower its carbon emissions by facilitating the move to a low-carbon network by supporting connections of all fuel types and technologies that will aid the transition to a low-carbon energy system. Its targets include a 45% reduction in GHG emissions by 2022 and an 80% reduction in GHG emissions by 2050.
The Group also partners with a number of charitable organisations, including Accounting for Sustainability, American Red Cross, Girls Inc, and Step up to Serve, amongst others.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC
National Grid Group plc currently trades on the Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE), where investors can buy shares under the stock symbol NG.
Data from the Group’s 2019 interim financial analysis shows good strategic progress made across the Group, which delivered £ 4.5 billion of investment, driving a strong asset growth of 7.2%. Recommended dividends for the full year were 47.34p.
A dip in the Group’s statutory profit will be mitigated going forward with new efficiency programmes and the cancellation of its nuclear connection agreements. The Group remains on track to achieve asset growth at the top end of its 5-7% range in the medium term.
Despite a recent dip in earnings, National Grid Group PLC remains a low risk business, focused on generating shareholder value through both dividends and asset growth by investing in essential assets under primarily regulated market conditions, to service long-term sustainable consumer-led demands.
Its high-value consumer-driven portfolio is set to deliver a stable share price and strong long-term yields for investors who choose to buy shares in the Group.
Buy NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy NATIONAL GRID GROUP PLC stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?