MTN Group Limited is a South African mobile telecommunications company. The company is a leader in its field and one of the most recognizable telecommunication companies. MTN operates in several countries including Africa, Asia and Europe.
A total of 37 percent of South African market shares belongs to MTN. The company has an estimated 20 million clients in South Africa and 300 million clients world-wide. MTN has an estimated 21 000 employees. The company’s headquarters are located in Johannesburg, South Africa.
MTN is divided into three business segments: MTN South Africa, MTN International and Strategic Investments. The company has an impressive portfolio. Individual clients, as well as businesses, can buy wireless, data and voice services for a fair price online.
You might also like: MR PRICE SHARES
HISTORY OF MTN
- MTN is founded and the first call to a MTN network is made in 1994. The company launches Interactive Voice Response and South Africa’s first GSM payphones that work with voice, as well as data. In 1995 MTN becomes a publicly traded company. That same year MTN starts offering help to underprivileged communities with its own community services division.
- Short Message Services (SMS) are available by 1996 and prepaid solutions are launched to provide the opportunity for every South African to own a cell phone, even if they don’t own a bank account. A telemetric app is developed by MTN that tracks vehicles. The same year MTN acquires M-Tel, South Africa’s leading service provider at the time.
- The late 1990’s sees MTN acquire Transtel Cellular and expands internationally. The first two way PC-to-cellphone messaging app in South Africa is launched by MTN in 1998. MTN International is established and the company is the first cellular network to achieve environmental management ratings.
- MTN starts trading as MTN Network Solutions in 2001 and is now a tier-one Internet Service Provider. In 2002 MTN SA Foundation is established which was first initiated by Nelson Mandela. In 2003 MTN subscribers are able to make the first South African video calls using a 3G network. In 2004 MTN appears on UNEP’s list of Global Top 50 Companies for its sustainable reporting. By 2006 MTN reaches 40 million subscribers and by 2009 it reaches 100 million.
- The next decade sees the company expanding to other countries and receiving multiple recognition’s and awards. The company is the only global sponsor from Africa of the 2010 Fifa World Cup. MTN is listed on Newsweek’s Green Rankings’ Top 250 Companies in the World for Positive Environmental Impact Management in 2011 and in 2014 it wins a Nedbank Sustainable Business Award for its solar power charging solutions. The same year MTN is voted the most admired and valuable African brand and wins Rwanda’s Corporate Social Responsibility Award.
VISION & VALUES OF MTN
- One of MTN’s goals is to supply its customers with a positive experience and a “New Digital World”were everyone can benefit. Impressive amounts are invested into fibre optic and submarine cables. This would give the opportunity to buy into upgraded broadband volumes and connect South Africa with the rest of Africa, as well as Europe.
- It’s MTN’s vision to become a digital leader and achieving its market goals. The company focuses on its standards, employees and values to achieve its goals.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF MTN
- MTN trades on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) under the stock symbol MTN and can be found under the Telecommunication Service division.
- Analysis for MTN’s 2018 financial results shows a turnover of R134 560 million. Attributable income is R8 719 million and the market cap is R159 990 million. Service revenues increased with 10.7 percent.Dividends have grown with 273 percent since the early 2010’s.
- MTN’s forecast indicates positive investment opportunities when looking at its 2019 performance and strong cash platform.
You might also like: HOW TO BUY MTN NIGERIA SHARES
Buy MTN stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase MTN Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy MTN Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN MTN STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE MTN STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of MTN stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy MTN stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?