METLIFE (MET) Stocks
MetLife, Inc. (MetLife), the holding corporation for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MLIC) and its affiliates, was founded in 1868, and is headquartered in New York City, New York, in the United States.
The company’s history began when a group of New York City businessmen founded the National Union Life and Limb Insurance Company that insured Civil War soldiers against disabilities due to wartime activities. The company was renamed the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company on March 4, 1968.
It is one of the largest global providers of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs. The company serves about 90 million people who purchase its products in more than 60 countries. MetLife concluded its mutualisation process in 1915. This entailed the transition from a stock life insurance company owned by individuals, to a mutual company that operates without external shareholders for the benefit of policyholders. MetLife went public in 2000. The company has a strong presence in markets in the United States, Latin America, Japan, Europe, Asia’s Pacific region, and the Middle East. It provides services to about 90 of the biggest Fortune 500 companies.
MetLife boasts more than 145 years of experience, and is a global recognized leader in protection planning and retirement and savings solutions. The company is strengthening its global brand by extending core products and services to markets worldwide. MetLife works with families, corporations and governments to enable them to successfully plan their financial future. The company has the global resources, experience and vision to offer financial certainties to an uncertain world. Today, the company employs approximately 50 000 people across its various operations.
You might also like: MARSH & McLENNAN STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF METLIFE
- MetLife conducts its operations via various segments: U.S., Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), MetLife Holdings, and Corporate & Other.
- In the U.S. the company offers a variety of insurance and financial services products to individuals and groups. These include life, dental, disability, property and casualty, guaranteed interest, stable value and annuities to both individuals and groups. Outside the U.S., the company also offers accident and health insurance, as well as retirement and saving products to both individuals and groups. MetLife’s U.S segment comprises of Group Benefits, Retirement and Income Solutions and Property & Casualty.
- The Asia segment focusses on products such as life insurance, accident and health insurance, and retirement and saving products for individuals and corporations. EMEA offers a variety of products such as life insurance, accident and health insurance, retirement and saving products, and credit insurance. Life insurance include both traditional and nontraditional life insurance products such as term life, whole life, endowments and variable life products, as well as group term life programs.
- Corporate & Other comprises surplus portfolios for the enterprise, the portfolios used to fund the company’s capital needs, as well as a range of reinsurance agreements. This segment contains the excess capital, as well as certain other charges and activities not allocated to the segments. MetLife works with families, corporations and governments to provide them with solutions that offer financial guarantees for their future. The company is trusted by more than 100 million customers worldwide.
VALUES OF METLIFE
- The company’s vision is to become a global leader in the provision of cooperative insurance by providing products that address the needs of its wide clientele.
- MetLife’s products adhere to the latest international standards and best practices. It offers optimum value to customers. MetLife regards its relationships with employees, clients and stakeholders as paramount to its growth and success, and makes every effort to maintain these relationships.
- The company puts its customers at the centre of its operations. It always conducts business according to professional and ethical standards. This mindset promotes growth and adds value for all its stakeholders.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF METLIFE
- MetLife Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “MET”.
- The company is renowned for its sound performance on the market. For example, from 2004 to 20011 it held its position as the largest life insurer in the U.S. It had US$2.5 trillion in policies written and US$350 billion in assets under management. MedLife also ranked 43 in the 2018 Fortune 500 list of biggest U.S. companies by revenue.
- In 2018, the company recorded revenue of US$66.97 billion and net income of US$5.12 billion. These solid financials give shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of sound dividends and returns.
You might also like: LOWE’S STOCKS
LATEST NEWS METLIFE
Buy METLIFE stocks / shares – ? A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase METLIFE Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy METLIFE Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN METLIFE STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE METLIFE STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of METLIFE stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy METLIFE stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : LOCKHEED MARTIN STOCKS