MARATHON OIL (MRO) Stocks
ABOUT MARATHON OIL
Marathon Oil Corporation (Marathon Oil), an American petroleum and natural gas production company, was incorporated on May 30, 2001 and has its headquarters in Houston, Texas.
The company’s history can be traced back to the founding of The Ohio Oil Company in 1887. John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil acquired the company in 1889 where it remained part of Standard Oil until 1911. In 1930, The Ohio Oil Company acquired the Transcontinental Oil Company and established the “Marathon” brand name.
The company changed its name to Marathon Oil Company in 1962 and gradually evolved into the Marathon Oil Corporation. During the company’s gradual evolution its gas stations took on new looks and additional services, new refining processes were created and the predecessor to the modern credit card was first issued.
As of the end of 2015, the company had 2.163 billion barrels of oil equivalent of estimated proven reserves. Of these reserves, 44% was in the U.S., 32% in Canada, 12% in Equatorial Guinea and 11% in African countries. The company’s proved reserves comprised 40% petroleum, 32% synthetic crude, 19% natural gas and 9% natural gas liquids. Today, the company employs approximately 2 400 people across its operations.
You might also like: MACERICH STOCKS
HISTORY OF MARATHON OIL
- Marathon Oil Corporation conducts its operations through two primary segments: United States E&P and International E&P. The United States E&P segment focuses on oil and gas exploration, development and production activities in the U.S.
- It primarily focuses on four unconventional resource plays namely Eagled Ford, Bakken, Oklahoma and Northern Delaware. As of the end of 2017, the company operated 32 central gathering and treating facilities that support about 1 500 producing wells. It also operates and owns the Sugarloaf gathering system. Its remaining properties in the U.S comprise a number of outside-operated assets in the Gulf of Mexico.
- The International E&P segment comprises of a range of activities such as oil and gas exploration, development and production at international locations in E.G., Gabon, the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, the United Kingdom and Libya.
- The company owns interest in Alba Plant LLC on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea LNG Holdings Limited (EGHoldings) and Atlantic Methanol Production Company LLC (AMPCO). EGHoldings operates at 3.7 million metric tons per annum LNG production facility whilst AMPCO operates a methanol plant.
- Both are located on Bioko Island. The company also has non-operated working interest in the Waha concessions.
VISION & VALUES OF MARATHON OIL
- Marathon Oil Corporation is serious about creating value for shareholders who purchase company shares through its quality products and stellar customer service. The way in which the company conducts its business is integral to its performance.
- The company therefore acts responsibly with its employees, business partners and communities in which it operates. It strives at all times to make a positive difference in its communities.
- The company also upholds the highest standards of business ethics and integrity and conducts all of its operations in a transparent and responsible manner.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF MARATHON OIL
- Marathon Oil Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “MRO”. The company is an S&P 500 component.
- The company’s strong financials afford shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of sound dividends and returns.
- For example, for the second quarter 2019 the company recorded net income of US$161 million and net operating cash flow of US$797 million.
You might also like: LOEWS STOCKS
LATEST NEWS MARATHON OIL
Buy MARATHON OIL stocks / shares – ? A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase MARATHON OIL Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy MARATHON OIL Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN MARATHON OIL STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE MARATHON OIL STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of MARATHON OIL stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy MARATHON OIL stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : LKQ STOCKS