INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES (IBM) Stocks
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), global information technology company, was founded in 1911 as the Computing-Tabulating-Recording Company, and is headquartered in Endicott, New York, in the United States.
? IBM manufactures and markets computer hardware, middleware and software, and offers hosting and consulting services in fields ranging from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. IMB also holds the record for the most U.S. patents developed by a business for 26 consecutive years. Some of the company’s inventions include the automated teller machine (ATM), the floppy disk, the hard disk drive, the magnetic stripe card, the UPC barcode, the relational database, the SQL programming language and dynamic random access memory (DRAM).
The IBM mainframe also dominated computer platforms during the 60s and 70s.
The company has an extensive portfolio of products and services in categories such as cloud computing, artificial intelligence, commerce, data and analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), IT infrastructure, mobile and security.
IBM Cloud provides infrastructure as a service (IaaS), software as a service (SaaS), and platform as a service (PaaS) via public, private and hybrid cloud delivery models. The company also offers Cloud Data Encryption Services (ICDES) that use cryptographic splitting to secure customer data.
Today, the company operates in more than 174 countries and employs approximately 350 000 people worldwide.
You might also like: INTEL STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
- IBM is one of 30 companies included in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and is one of the world’s biggest employers. The company is also known as “Big Blue”. At least 70% of its employees are based outside the U.S., with the majority in India.
- The company continuously focuses on higher value, more profitable markets. It spun off printer manufacturer Lexmark in 1991, and sold its personal computer (ThinkPad/ThinkCentre) and x86-based server business to Lenovo (in 2005 and 2014 respectively).
- The company also hosts the industry-wide cloud computing and mobile technologies conference, InterConnect, annually.
- The company’s hardware designs include the IBM’s POWER microprocessors used in many console gaming systems such as the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo’s Wii U. It also designed Secure Blue, encryption hardware that can be built into microprocessors. In 2014 it introduced TrueNorth, a neuromorphic CMOS integrated circuit.
- IBM also announced a USUS Dollar 3 billion investment in 2014, in the development of a neutral chip that mimics the human brain, with 10 billion neurons and 100 trillion synapses that only uses 1 kilowatt of power. The company also introduced its all flash arrays, designed for midsized companies, in 2016. The latter includes software for data compression, provisioning and snapshots across a range of systems.
VALUES OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
- IBM’s mission is to develop and manufacture the industry’s most advanced information technologies, so as to become the world’s most successful technology company. It translates its advanced technology expertise into value for its clients and stakeholders, through professional solution, and global services and consulting businesses. It strives to provide its clientele with extraordinary technologies that will enhance their lives.
- IBM is dedicated to each client’s success and committed to sustainable relationships. Its business ethos is based on values such as innovation, drive, passion, transparency, accountability and respect.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
- IMB trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol “IBM”. The company ranked #34 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of biggest U.S. corporations by revenue.
- In 2018, the company recorded revenue of USUS Dollar 79.59 billion with net income of USUS Dollar 8.72 billion and total assets valued at USUS Dollar 123.38 billion. Shareholders, who buy and sell company stock, can therefore expect sound dividends and returns on their investment.
You might also like: THERMO FISHER SCIENTIFIC STOCKS
LATEST NEWS INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES
Buy INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : TEXAS INSTRUMENTS STOCKS