GENERAL MOTORS (GM) Stocks
ABOUT GENERAL MOTORS
? General Motors Company (General Motors / GM), a multinational vehicle manufacturing corporation, was founded in 1908 and has its headquarters in Detroit, Michigan, in the United States.
General Motors Company was established in September 1908 as a holding company controlled by the owner of Buick, William C. Durant. As there were fewer than 8 000 automobiles in the U.S. at the time, Durant was a leading manufacturer of horse-drawn vehicles in Flint, Michigan. He had bought the Carriage Geer patent before becoming involved in the automotive industry in 1904 when he bought the fledgling Buick Motor Company. GM’s co-founder was Charles Stewart Mott, whose carriage company merged with Buick prior to GM’s founding.
? General Motors manufactures, markets and distributes vehicles and vehicle parts, and also offers financial services. It is the largest vehicle producer in the U.S., and one of the biggest in the world. The company has manufacturing facilities in 37 countries, and its core brands include Buick, Cheverolet, Cadillac and GMC. GM also holds interest in foreign brands such as Holdern, Wuling, Baojun and Jiefang.
Apart from the company’s 12 brands, GM also has a 20% stake in IMM, and a 77% stake in GM Korea. The company is further involved in a number of joint ventures, such as Shangai GM, SAIC-GM-Wulling and FAW-GM in China, GM-Avto VAZ in Russia, GM Uzbeistand, General Motors India, Isuzu Truck in South Africa, and General Motors Egypt.
GM’S mobility division, Maven, operates car-sharing services in the U.S., and is researching alternatives to individual vehicle ownership. The company’s military defense division, GM Defense, caters to the needs of the military for advanced technology and propulsion systems for military vehicles. The company led global vehicle sales for 77 consecutive years – from 1931 to 2007 – which is a world record for a vehicle manufacturer. Today, the company employs approximately 173 000 people across its operations worldwide.
You might also like: GENERAL DYNAMICS STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF GENERAL MOTORS
- General Motors designs, builds and markets cars, trucks crossovers and vehicle parts. The company operates through various segments globally: GM North America (GMNA), GM Europe (GME), GM International Operations (GMIO), GM Cruze, and General Motors Financial Company, Inc. (GM Financial). It provides financial services through the latter.
- Apart from its U.S. brands, the company also manufactures and markets vehicles outside the U.S under Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Holden, Opel and Vauxhall for clients to purchase. GM operates outside the U.S. mainly through wholly-owned subsidiaries, as well as 10 joint ventures in China. GM’s subsidiary, OnStar, offers vehicle safety, security and information services.
- The company shed several brands in 2009, including Saturn, Pontiac, and Hummer.
- In 2010, the reorganized General Motors made and initial public offering that was one of the world’s five largest to date, which quickly returned the company to profitability. Apart from selling vehicles through its dealer network to retail customers, GM also sells vehicles directly or through its dealer network to fleet customers, such as daily rental car companies, commercial fleet customers, leasing companies and governments.
- GM offers a variety of aftersales vehicle services and products through its dealer network. These include maintenance, light repairs, collision repairs, vehicle accessories and extended service warranties. OnStar offers connected safety, security and mobility solutions, as well as information technology.
VALUES OF GENERAL MOTORS
- General Motor’s vision is to become the world’s automotive company of choice. The company constantly strives to earn customers for life by creating and developing vehicle brands that inspire passion and loyalty.
- General Motors is set on earning customers for life through its cutting-edge technologies and passionate about leaving the lowest environmental footprint across its operations.
- It underwrites values such as loyalty, service, innovation, teamwork and responsibility. By practising these values daily the company earns its clientele’s trust and enthusiasm.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF GENERAL MOTORS
- General Motors Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “GM”.
- The company has a history of solid performance on the market which boosts investor confidence.
- Shareholders who buy or sell company shares can do so in the expectation of sound dividends and returns. In 2018, the company registered net income of USUS Dollar 8.014 billion, total revenue of USUS Dollar 147.049.000, and total assets valued at USUS Dollar 227.339 billion.
You might also like: FISERV STOCKS
LATEST NEWS GENERAL MOTORS
Buy GENERAL MOTORS stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase GENERAL MOTORS Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy GENERAL MOTORS Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN GENERAL MOTORS STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE GENERAL MOTORS STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of GENERAL MOTORS stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy GENERAL MOTORS stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : FIDELITY NATIONAL INFORMATION SERVICES STOCKS