GAP (GPS) Stocks
? The Gap, Inc. (known as Gap Inc. or Gap), an American multinational apparel retail company, was incorporated on April 15, 1988 and has its headquarters in San Francisco, California. The company’s product portfolio comprises apparel, accessories and personal care products for men, women and children. The company’s brands include the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta and Intermix.
The company’s history can be traced back to its founding in 1969 by Donald and Doris F. Fisher. Donald Fisher drew his inspiration for the company’s founding from the success of The Tower of Shoes in Sacramento, California. Fisher got permission to copy the latter’s business model and apply it to Levi’s products. He was referred to The Tower of Shoes’ director of advertising, Bud Robinson, who assisted Fisher to compile a legal test plan for what would become The Gap.
The first Gap store, which opened in San Francisco on August 21, 1969, sold Levi’s and LP records to attract teen customers.
The Gap, Inc.’s products are available to its clientele online through its websites and the use of third parties that render logistics and fulfilment services. Apart from operating in the specialty, outlet, online and franchise channels, the company bridges the gap between the digital world and its physical stores through its omni-channel capabilities. Today, the company employs more than 2 300 people across its operations.
HISTORY OF GAP
- The Gap, Inc. is the biggest specialty retailer in the U.S. and 3rd in total international locations. The company operates more than 3 700 stores worldwide. It operates stores in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Ireland, Japan, Italy, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mexico.
- It also has Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy outlets in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa. The company’s omni-channel services comprise order-in-store, reserve-in-store, find-in-store and ship-from-store, tailored across its whole brands portfolio.
- The Gap brand comprises an optimistic, casual American style and includes denim, tees, button-downs and khakis. Apart from apparel for men and women, collections include GapKids, babyGap, GapMaternity, GapBody and GapFit. Banana Republic is a brand that focuses on delivering contemporary classics. Old Navy is available in franchise stores and online.
- Athleta comprises fitness apparel for women and girls. The collection integrates technical features and motion design. Intermix is a must-have brand that delivers a point-of-view and individualized approach to personal style and shopping. The company also offers a shopping platform for wedding parties called Weddington Way.
VISION & VALUES OF GAP
- The Gap, Inc. is passionate about democratizing fashion and making shopping fun again. It strives to bring incredible style and quality to the families of the world. It is serious about creating emotional connections with customers the world over through cutting-edge product design, unique store experiences and innovative marketing strategies.
- The company’s activities are deeply rooted in core values such as respect, dignity and fairness which enable it to make a positive and lasting impact on its people and in the places where it operates. Shareholders who purchase company shares are therefore assured of optimum value and returns on their investments.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF GAP
- The Gap, Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “GPS”. The company is an S&P 500 component.
- For the first quarter ended May 4, 2019, the company recorded net sales of USUS Dollar 3.7 billion and gross profit of USUS Dollar 1.34 billion. Its operating margin was 8.5%, an increase of 240 basis points compared with the previous fiscal period.
- Shareholders who buy or sell company shares can therefore expect solid dividends and returns.
You might also like: TELEFLEX STOCKS
LATEST NEWS GAP
Buy GAP stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase GAP Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy GAP Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN GAP STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE GAP STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of GAP stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy GAP stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?