FORTIS (FTS) Stocks
Fortis Inc. is an international diversified electric utility holding company that distributes gas and electric. It serves customers in Canada, the United States and the Caribbean. The Company offers electric and gas as well as engages in non-regulated hydroelectric operations.
Fortis Inc. is based in St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador and was formed in 1987 when shareholders of the regulated transmission and distribution utility Newfoundland Light & Power Co. (NL&P) voted to form a separate holding company.
Their shares were exchanged for Fortis shares on a one-to-one basis, with the regulated NL&P becoming a 100% owned subsidiary. Today it continues the mission of delivering safe, reliable and cost-effective energy to homes and businesses.
It is a leader in the North American utility industry with assets of US Dollar 52 billion and 2018 revenue of US Dollar 8.4 billion.
OVERVIEW OF FORTIS
- Fortis Inc. has about 8 800 full time employees and generates, transmits, and distributes electricity (including solar energy) to approximately 425 000 customers in south-eastern Arizona and 97 000 in Arizona’s Mohave and Santa Cruz counties.
- It sells wholesale electricity in the western United States, owns gas-fired and hydroelectric facilities and distributes natural gas to 1 030 000 customers in British Columbia, distributes electricity to 564 000 customers in southern and central Alberta and owns four hydroelectric generating facilities.
- Further, the company distributes electricity to 268 000 customers in the island portion of Newfoundland and Labrador and 81 000 customers on Prince Edward Island.
- It also owns and operates transmission and distribution lines and natural gas pipelines.
VISION AND VALUES OF FORTIS
- Fortis Inc. vows to manage resources prudently and deliver quality service to maximise value to customers and shareholders.
- They focus on three primary objectives: greater growth in assets and market capitalisation than that of other similar sized North American public gas and electric utilities; earnings should continue at a rate proportionate to that of a well-run North American utility; and its financial and business risks should not be substantially greater than those associated with the operation of a North American utility of similar size.
- Fortis Inc. adheres to its value chain to ensure the organisation reaches its goals set to meet the current and future needs of customers and maximises returns, income growth and capital appreciation for shareholders who purchase shares with them.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF FORTIS
- Fortis Inc.’s shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) under the stock symbol FTS listed in the Utilities sector.
- Highlights of the company’s performance in the first quarter of 2019 include net earnings of US Dollar 0.72 per common share, adjusted net earnings of US Dollar 0.74 per common share, up from US Dollar 0.70 in the same period last year. Its annual capital expenditure plan is on track with US Dollar 0.7 billion invested during the quarter.
- Net earnings attributable to common equity shareholders were US Dollar 311 million, compared to US Dollar 323 million for the same period in 2018 and adjusted net earnings increased US Dollar 19 million to US Dollar 316 million, from US Dollar 297 million.
- Due to Fortis Inc.’s continued performance on this market shareholders can buy or sell shares with confidence and expect sound dividends and returns in 2019 and further.
Buy FORTIS stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase FORTIS Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy FORTIS Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN FORTIS STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE FORTIS STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of FORTIS stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy FORTIS stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?