FACEBOOK (FB) Stocks
Facebook, Inc. Class A is an American online social networking service and social media company. The company is considered one of the Big Four technology companies along with Google, Apple and Amazon.
Facebook’s social networking service can be accessed through personal computers, smartphones and tablets with Internet connectivity. Users must register on the site and create a customized profile with personal information to identify themselves. Following these steps users can post photos, texts and multimedia which they share with their online “friends”. Facebook users may join common-interest groups, use various embedded apps and receive notifications of their friends’ activities.
As of December 2018 Facebook has more than 2.3 billion monthly active users. The company receives prominent media coverage which includes controversies such as psychological effects and user privacy. In the past Facebook has faced intense pressure over content that certain users find objectionable and over censorship. The company’s history dates back to 2004 when it was founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Today Facebook is available in 140 different languages.
It is headquartered in Menlo Park, California. Facebook has approximately 35 587 employees. The company’s total key executive compensation amounted to US Dollar 101.2 million in 2017.
Facebook’s subsidiaries are Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus.
You might also like: EXXONMOBIL STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF FACEBOOK
- The company is founded by fellow Harvard College students Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Chris Hughes and Dustin Moskovitz. Membership is initially limited to Harvard Students and subsequently Stanford, Yale and Columbia students. Later on membership expands to Ivy League schools, higher education institutions in the Boston area and MIT. In time students at other universities follow and high school students after them. In 2006 Facebook opens to anyone claiming to be at least 13 years old.
- The company’s name comes from the face book directories which are often given to students at American universities. Facebook’s initial public offering (IPO) is in February 2012. The company’s value is the largest valuation to date for a newly listed public company at US Dollar 104 billion. Three months later the company starts selling stock to the public.
- Most of its revenue is made from advertisements appearing onscreen. In 2016 Facebook announces that it reaches three million active advertisers. More than 70% of these are outside of the United States. Internet.org is founded by Facebook in 2013. This venture is in collaboration with 6 other technology companies to plan and help build affordable internet access for developing and under developed countries.
- Through the years Facebook buys WhatsApp, Instagram, GrokStyle and Oculus. Independently it also develops Facebook Watch, Facebook Portal and Facebook Messenger.
- Facebook has offices in various countries around the world.
- The website wins awards such as being placed in the “Top 100 Classic Websites” by PC Magazine in 2007 and the “People’s Voice Award” from Webby Awards in 2008.
- In 2010 the company wins the Crunchie “Best Overall Startup or Product” award for the third year in a row.
VALUES OF FACEBOOK
- The company’s mission is to empower people to build communities and bring the world closer together. Facebook has 5 strong values: Be Bold, Focus on Impact, Move Fast, Be Open and Build Social Value. Facebook operates 15 data center locations as of 2019.
- The company commits to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 75% by 2022 and to purchase 100% renewable energy.
- The company uses the StatePoint Liquid Cooling (SPLC) system which is an evaporative cooling system that drives cooling by using water.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF FACEBOOK
- Facebook Inc. Class A trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE Stock Symbol “FB”.
- In 2018 the company’s revenue is US Dollar 55.838 billion and its operating income for the same period is US Dollar 24.913 billion.
- Facebook’s net income for 2018 is US Dollar 22.111 billion. Its total assets and total equity for 2018 is US Dollar 97.334 billion and US Dollar 84.127 billion respectively.
You might also like: COSTCO WHOLESALE STOCKS
LATEST NEWS FACEBOOK
Buy FACEBOOK stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase FACEBOOK Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy FACEBOOK Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN FACEBOOK STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE FACEBOOK STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of FACEBOOK stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy FACEBOOK stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : COMCAST STOCKS