ENBRIDGE (ENB) Stocks
? Enbridge Inc., a Canadian multinational energy transportation company, was founded in 1949 and has its headquarters in Calgary, Alberta.
The company is engaged in the transportation, generation and distribution of energy in North America. It operates in Canada and the United States and owns the longest crude oil and liquid hydrocarbons transportation system in North America. It operates Canada’s largest natural gas distribution network and serve Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and New York State.
The company was originally established by Imperial Oil as the Interprovincial Pipe Line Company, following Canada’s first major oil discovery at Leduc, Alberta, in 1947. Enbridge also built its first oil pipeline from Leduc to Regina, Saskatchewan, in 1947.
The company then established the Lakehead Pipe Line Company (now Enbridge Energy Partners) to operate the U.S. section of the pipeline. It went through a series of name changes until it became Enbridge Inc. in 1998. The name is a portmanteau from “energy” and “bridge”.
Today, the company employs approximately 11 000 people across its operations.
HISTORY OF ENBRIDGE
- Enbridge Inc. transports almost two-thirds of Canada’s crude oil exports to the U.S. and about 20% of the natural gas utilized in the U.S. The company was an early investor in renewable energy and has a growing offshore wind portfolio.
- Enbridge Inc. is currently involved in a number of expansion projects, such as the construction of Northern Gateway, the expansion of Alberta Clipper AND the reversal of Line 6 and 9, to name but a few. The company’s Light Oil Market Access initiative transports light crude oil from North Dakota and Western Canada to refineries in Ontario, Quebec and the U.S. Midwest.
- It is also busy with the expansion of the Seaway Pipeline and the Flanagan South Pipeline to connect Canadian heavy oil supply to refineries on the Gulf Coast of the U.S.
- Enbridge Inc. also processes and transports natural gas. It owns an interest in the 2,986km (1,855mi) Alliance Pipeline and the 560km (350mi) Vector Pipeline.
- It also owns the BC Pipeline. The latter is regarded as the backbone for natural gas infrastructure development in British Columbia. The company distributes gas through two subsidiaries: Enbridge Gas Distribution and Union Gas. It is Canada’s largest natural gas distribution utility.
VISION & VALUES OF ENBRIDGE
- Enbridge Inc. builds on its foundation of operating excellence by adhering to a strong set of core values such as safety, integrity and respect. These values act as the beacon by which company decisions are made every day.
- The company regards safety as paramount. It is committed to ensuring that all employees return home safely every day. Enbridge demonstrates a strong culture of respect, integrity and accountability that creates trust among employees, partners and stakeholders alike.
- This stellar business ethos enables growth and adds value for shareholders who purchase company shares.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF ENBRIDGE
- Enbridge Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “ENB”. The company is an S&P/TSX 60 component.
- For the first quarter 2019, Enbridge recorded GAAP earnings of USUS Dollar 1,891 million or US Dollar 0.94 per common share, compared to USUS Dollar 445 million or US Dollar 0.26 per common share in the first quarter of 2018.
- Distributable cash flow (DCF) was USUS Dollar 2.758 million, compared to USUS Dollar 2.312 million for the first quarter of 2018. This solid performance bodes well for shareholders who buy or sell company shares as they can do so in the expectation of solid dividends and returns.