EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES (EW) Stocks
ABOUT EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES
? Edwards Lifesciences Corporation is an American medical equipment company that designs, develops and markets services and products to treat late-stage cardiovascular disease.
It specializes in artificial heart valves and hemodynamic monitoring. The company’s products range from tissue replacement heart valves, angioscopy equipment, oxygenators and heart valve repair to pharmaceuticals. Edwards Lifesciences Corporation is most well-known for its transcatheter aortic heart valve which is made of bovine tissue within a collapsible stainless-steel stent. This is deployed via a catheter.
Edwards Lifesciences Corporation’s history dates back to 1958. The company is headquartered in Irvine, California and today it has approximately 8 500 employees. It has a presence in approximately 100 countries.
The company’s subsidiaries include Edwards Lifesciences LLC, Edwards Lifesciences LTD, Harpoon Medical, Inc., Valtech Cardio, Ltd. and Edwards Lifesciences SL.
OVERVIEW OF EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES
- In 1958 Miles “Lowell” Edwards (a retired engineer) sets out to build the first artificial heart. He starts working with Dr. Albert Starr, a surgeon at the University of Oregon Medical School. After two years an artificial heart valve, the first Starr-Edwards mitral valve is designed, developed, tested and placed inside a patient successfully. This operation makes the news across the world and is termed a “miraculous” heart surgery.
- Edwards Laboratories is born. In 1966 Edwards Laboratories is bought by American Hospital Supply Corporation and becomes American Edwards Laboratories. Baxter International Inc. buys American Edwards in 1985.
- The company is spun-off as an independent, public corporation in 2000 and starts trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Today Edwards Lifesciences Corporation continues to lead in the tissue replacement heart valves and repair products as well as advanced hemodynamic monitoring. These products and services have already helped treat and manage more than 2 million patients around the world.
- Amongst its many awards and accolades Edwards Lifesciences is honoured as one of the 2019 World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year. In 2018 it is named one of America’s Most JUST Companies by Forbes and JUST Capital.
- The same year it is named as one of the Management Top 250 by the Wall Street Journal in partnership with the Drucker Institute. The company’s CEO, Michael Mussallem, is honoured as one of the Best-Performing CEO’s in the World by the Harvard Business Review in 2018.
VALUES OF EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES
- Edwards Lifesciences Corporation’s employees are dedicated to furthering Edwards’ original 1958 vision to help clinicians, patients and their families work together to fight cardiovascular disease and critical illnesses as a united community.
- The company commits to charitable giving and participation in philanthropic causes. It supports many health- and community-focused programs through grants from its Edwards Lifesciences Foundation to non-profit organizations.
- The company also provides numerous monthly opportunities for its employees to volunteer in its communities.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES
- Edwards Lifesciences Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE Stock Symbol “EW”.
- In April 2019 the company reports its financial results for the quarter ended March 31, 2019.
- Sales grow 11% to US Dollar 993 million – underlying sales grow 9%. TAVR sales grow 8% – underlying sales grow 10%. EPS is US Dollar 1.18 – adjusted EPS is US Dollar 1.32.
LATEST NEWS EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES
Buy EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?