CHEVRON (CVX) Stocks
Chevron Corporation, a global energy company and one of the successor companies of Standard Oil, was founded in 1879 and is headquartered in San, Ramon, California, in the United States.
The company is involved in all aspects of the oil, natural gas, and geothermal energy industries. These include hydrocarbon exploration and production; refining, marketing and transport; power generation; and chemicals manufacturing and sales. It is one of the world’s biggest oil companies, and was also part of the so-called “Seven Sisters” that dominated the petroleum industry from the 1940s to 1970s.
Chevron, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in integrated energy, chemicals and petroleum operations worldwide. It operates in two segments: Upstream and Downstream. Chevron’s Upstream operations comprise oil and gas exploration and production in the US, Australia, Nigeria, Angola, Kazakhstan and the Gulf of Mexico. The company’s Downstream operations produce and sell products such as fuels, additives, lubricants and petrochemicals.
The company operates on the west coast of North America, the U.S. Gulf Coast, South Korea, Southeast Asia, Australia and South Africa. Chevron averages an output of approximately 3.1 billion barrels of refined products, such as gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, per day. Chevron Corporation operates about 19 550 retail sites in 84 countries, and has interest in 13 power-generating assets in the U.S and Asia.
It also owns gas stations in Western Canada. The company owns the Texaco and Caltex fuel and lubricant products trademark rights. Chevron markets a comprehensive range of lubricant and coolant products under brand names such as Havoline, Delo, and Ursa in the U.S., and Chevron, Texaco and Caltex globally.
Today, Chevron Corporation employs approximately 60 000 people at its operations worldwide.
OVERVIEW OF CHEVRON
- The company’s history can be traced back to one of its early predecessors, Star Oil, that discovered oil at the Pico Canyon Oilfield in Los Angeles’ Santa Susana Mountains in 1976. This well produced 25 barrels per day and marked the discovery of the Newhall Field. The latter is regarded as the beginning of the modern oil industry in California.
- Apart from its upstream and downstream operations, the company is also involved in the development of alternative energy. Its 500kW Solarmine photovoltaic solar project in Fellows, California, comprises solar, wind, biofuel, fuel cells, and hydrogen development.
- Chevron is a leading global producer of geothermal energy. Most of its geothermal operations are located in Southeast Asia.
- Chevron sells its products to gas stations, airport fuel depots, and through industrial channels. The company has more than 11 billion barrels of proved reserves, and has a refining capacity of approximately 1.7 million barrels per day.
- The company established its Niger Delta Partnership Initiative (NDPI) in 2010. This is a non-profit that assists local organizations to promote economic growth, reduce HIV transmission, and empower women. The initiative commenced with a USUS Dollar 50 million grant and received an additional USUS Dollar 40 million in 2013.
VALUES OF CHEVRON
- The company’s mission statement, “Chevron Way”, explains its core beliefs, aspirations and operations. It serves as a commitment to excellence which all its customers can trust.
- The company strives to be a leading global energy company, admired for the excellence of its people, the value of its partnerships, and its superior performance at all times.
- Chevron’s operations are based on values such as integrity and trust, as well as diversity and inclusion. It puts a high premium on partnerships and customer satisfaction, and therefore follows an operating policy of transparency and accountability, based on open communication at all times.
- It values the diversity and expertise of its workforce and offers its employees an environment in which to grow and hone their skills. Chevron is also environmentally responsible and serves the communities in which it operates.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF CHEVRON
- Chevron is ranked 13 on the 2018 Fortune 500 rankings of the biggest U.S corporations by total revenue. The company trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol “CVX”.
- In 2018, Chevron recorded revenue of USUS Dollar 158.9 billion and net income of USUS Dollar 14.92 billion, with total assets valued at USUS Dollar 253.9 billion. Shareholders who buy and sell company stock can therefore expect sound dividends and returns on their investment.
LATEST NEWS CHEVRON
Buy CHEVRON stocks / shares – A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase CHEVRON Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy CHEVRON Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN CHEVRON STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a US Dollar 5 stock, multiply 100 by US Dollar 5 to get US Dollar 500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE CHEVRON STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of CHEVRON stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy CHEVRON stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?