CENTERPOINT ENERGY (CNP) Stocks
ABOUT CENTERPOINT ENERGY
CenterPoint Energy, Inc. (formerly Reliant Energy), an American electric and natural gas utility holding company, was incorporated on August 31, 2001 and has its headquarters in Houston, Texas. The company is a domestic energy delivery firm involved in electric transmission and distribution, natural gas distribution and energy services operations.
The company’s history can be traced back to Houston Lighting & Power (HL&P). When the state of Texas deregulated the electricity market, the company was split into several companies, namely Reliant Energy, Texas Genco and CenterPoint Energy.
CenterPoint Energy, Inc. serves U.S. states such as Arkansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. Some of the company’s Retail Electric Providers (REPs) subsidiaries include NRG Energy, Champion Energy, Dynowatt, Ambit Energy, Texas Power, Bounce Energy, MXenergy, Direct Energy, Stream Energy, First Texas Energy Corporation, Gexa Energy, Cirro Energy, Kona Energy and Eligo Energy.
CenterPoint Energy and its predecessors have been operating in the energy business for more than 140 years. The company’s operating subsidiaries own and operate electric transmission and distribution facilities, as well as natural gas distribution facilities. The company also owns interest in Enable Midstream Partners, LP.Today, the company employs approximately 8 000 people across its operations.
You might also like: CELANESE STOCKS
HISTORY OF CENTERPOINT ENERGY
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc. conducts its operations through five segments: Electric Transmission & Distribution, Natural Gas Distribution, Energy Services, Midstream Investments and Other Operations.
- Electric Transmission & Distribution provides electric transmission and distribution services to retail electric providers (REPs). Natural Gas Distribution offers intrastate natural gas sales to – and natural gas transportation and distribution for- residential, commercial and industrial customers. Energy comprises non-rate regulated gas sales to – and transportation and storage services for – commercial and industrial customers.
- The Midstream Investments segment includes equity investment in Enable that operates and develops natural gas and crude oil assets. The Other Operations segment focuses on office buildings and other real estate used in its business operations.
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc.’s indirect subsidiaries are CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric, LLC that is engaged in the electric transmission and distribution business in the Texas Gulf Coast area, as well as CenterPoint Energy Resources Corp. that owns and operates natural gas distribution systems (NGD).
- CenterPoint Houston’s electric transmission business, together with the other owners of transmission facilities in Texas, supports the ERCOT independent system operator (ISO). This transmission business is responsible for the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance for the portion of the transmission grid and for the load-serving substations it owns.
VISION & VALUES OF CENTERPOINT ENERGY
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc. is passionate about its operating strategy. The latter, “Operate, Serve, Grow”, reflects the company’s competitive advantage in technology, customer service and innovation.
- The company delivers safe, reliable and efficient energy and serves its customers by adding value through superior customer service and technology that compliments its existing assets. Shareholders can therefore purchase company shares with confidence.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF CENTERPOINT ENERGY
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc.trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “CNP”.
- The company expressed its satisfaction with its 2018 results as they represent a solid year of meeting its financials goals. Full-year 2018 earnings were US$1.60 per diluted share, compared to US$1.37 per diluted share in 2017.
- The company’s total revenue for 2017 amounted to US$9.614 billion. These solid financials afford shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of sound dividends and returns.
You might also like: CBOE GLOBAL MARKETS STOCKS
LATEST NEWS CENTERPOINT ENERGY
Buy CENTERPOINT ENERGY stocks / shares – ? A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase CENTERPOINT ENERGY Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy CENTERPOINT ENERGY Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN CENTERPOINT ENERGY STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE CENTERPOINT ENERGY STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of CENTERPOINT ENERGY stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy CENTERPOINT ENERGY stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : CARMAX STOCKS