BIG LOTS (BIG) Stocks
ABOUT BIG LOTS
Big Lots, Inc. an American retail company, was incorporated on March 12, 2001 and has its headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. The company operates about 1 400 retail stores in 47 U.S. states.
The company’s history can be traced back to 1967 when Sol Shenk founded the Consolidated Stores Corporation in Ohio. The company opened its first store, Odd Lots, in Columbus, Ohio.
In 1994, Consolidated Stores Corporation expanded into the toys business when it acquired Toy Liquidators which added 82 stores in 38 states to its portfolio.
The company was also an investor in the DeLorean Motor Company that declared bankruptcy in 1982.
It took possession of about 100 DeLorean models. This rather unusual excess inventory is commemorated on the Big Lots website under the “Closeout Museum” section. The company eventually decided to focus solely on the Big Lots brand.
In 2001 Consolidated Stores Corporation changed its name to Big Lots, Inc.
Big Lots, Inc. completed its full conversion to the single Big Lots brand in 2001. Today, the company employs approximately 23 000 people across its operations.
You might also like: BERKSHIRE HILLS BANCORP STOCKS
HISTORY OF BIG LOTS
- Big Lots, Inc.’s merchandise portfolio is divided into various categories: food, consumables, soft home, hard home, furniture, seasonal, electronics, toys and accessories.
- The food category is divided into a number of departments, namely beverage and grocery, candy and snacks and specialty foods. The consumables category comprises of the health, beauty and cosmetics, plastics, chemical, paper and pet departments.
- The soft-home category is made up of the home décor, frames, fashion bedding, utility bedding, bath, window, decorative textile, home organization and area rugs departments. Hard home includes small appliances, table top, food preparation, stationery, greeting cards and home maintenance departments. Upholstery, mattresses, ready-to-assemble and case goods is included in the hard home category. The seasonal category includes products for the lawn and garden, summer, Christmas and holidays. Electronics, toys and accessories includes the company’s electronics, hosiery, toys and jewellery departments.
- Big Lots, Inc. has stores in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington, amongst others.
VISION & VALUES OF BIG LOTS
- Big Lots, Inc. strives to exceed its customers’ expectations every time. It serves people with respect and dignity and has the courage to lead and the confidence to make quick responsible decisions.
- The company is passionate about providing superior products to its client base that enrich lives and add value for shareholders who purchase company shares. Values such as respect, dignity, innovation and collaborations are deeply ingrained in the company’s business ethos.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF BIG LOTS
- Big Lots, Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “BIG”. The company is an S&P 400 component.
- For the first quarter of fiscal 2019, the company recorded adjusted income of US$ 37.0 million, or $ 0.92 per diluted share. Net sales totalled US$ 1.296 million, a 2.2% increase compared to the same period 2018.
- Shareholders who buy or sell company shares can therefore expect solid dividends and returns on their investment.
You might also like: BENCHMARK ELECTRONICS STOCKS
LATEST NEWS BIG LOTS
Buy BIG LOTS stocks / shares – ? A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase BIG LOTS Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy BIG LOTS Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN BIG LOTS STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE BIG LOTS STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of BIG LOTS stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy BIG LOTS stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : BRIGGS & STRATTON STOCKS