BARCLAYS PLC (BARC) Shares
ABOUT BARCLAYS PLC
? Barclays plc, a British multinational investment bank and financial services company, was founded in 1619 and has its headquarters in London. The company boasts a rich and long history in the finance industry.
? The company’s origin can be traced back to a goldsmith banking business established in London in 1690. In 1896, several British banks, such as Bankhouse’s Bank and Gurney’s Bank merged to form a joint-stock bank named Barclays and Co.
? The company gradually expanded into a nationwide bank. It also made numerous acquisitions over the years, such as Mercantile Credit in 1975, Woolwich in 2000 and Lehan Brothers’ North American operations in 2008, to name but three.
? The company’s largest shareholder is Qatar Holdings, an investment vehicle of the State of Qatar. Barclays was the world’s first bank to deploy a cash dispenser.
? A paper by Vitali et al. named Barclays in 2011 the world’s most powerful transnational corporation according to ownership and corporate control over global financial stability and market competition.
? Today, the company employs approximately 80 000 people across its global operations.
OVERVIEW OF BARCLAYS PLC
- Barclays plc conducts its business operations through subsidiaries and within two core business clusters: Corporate and Investment Banking and Investment Management: and Retail and Business Banking.
- Corporate and Investment Banking and Investment Management comprises of three segments: Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, and Wealth and Investment Management.
- The Retail and Business Banking Cluster has four business units: Africa Retail and Business Banking; Barclaycard (credit cards and loans); Europe Retail and Business Banking, and UK Retail and Business Banking.
- The company operates through a host of subsidiaries worldwide. These include Absa Group Limited (South Africa), Barclays Africa, Barclays Bank LLC (Russia), Barclays Bank plc (UK), Barclays Bank Delaware, Barclays Corporate, Barclays Croatia, Barclays France, Barclays India and Barclays Execution Services, to name but a few.
VISION & VALUES OF BARCLAYS PLC
- Barclays plc strives to develop world-class and value-adding partnerships with its clientele by creating “opportunities to rise”. It strategy is to deliver strong returns for investors who purchase company stock.
- By building on its strengths as an international consumer- and wholesale bank, the company is able to remain resilient across the economic cycle.
- It cares about people and adheres to core values such as respect, open communication, honesty and integrity.
- It further values its workforce and rewards inputs.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF BARCLAYS PLC
- Barclays plc trades on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) under the stock symbol “BARC”. It is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
- For the second quarter 2019, Barclays recorded profit. It also delivered earning per share of 12.6 pence for the first half of fiscal 2019. Profit before tax for the second quarter was £ 1.6 billion and for the first half of the year, £ 3.1 billion.
- The company’s total revenue for 2018 was £ 21.136 billion. This strong performance assures shareholders who buy or sell company shares of solid dividends and returns.