ASTRAZENICA PLC (AZN) Shares
ABOUT ASTRAZENICA PLC
AstraZeneca plc, an English-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical company, was founded in 1999 and has its headquarters in Cambridge in the United Kingdom.
It conducts its research and development (R&D) operations from Cambridge (UK), Gaithersburg, Maryland (US) and Mölndal in Sweden.
The company develops and markets pharmaceutical and biotechnology products to treat diseases in areas such as cancer, cardiovascular, infection, gastrointestinal, neuroscience, inflammation and respiratory.
AstraZeneca was established through the merger of Sweden’s Astra AB and the English Zeneca Group.
The new entity is among the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies. It has maintained growth through numerous acquisitions such as Cambridge Antibody Technology in 2006, MedImmune in 2007, Spirogen in 2013 and Definiens in 2014.
Today, the company employs approximately 61 000 people across its operations.
OVERVIEW OF ASTRAZENICA PLC
- AstraZenica plc‘s corporate headquarters is in London, whilst its research and development headquarters are situated in in Södertälje, Sweden. The company operates nine R&D sites and distributes its products to more than 100 companies worldwide.
- AstraZenica’s drugs are used in seven medical areas: anaesthesia and pain control, central nervous systems, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, infection, oncology and respiratory.
- Some of its product ranges include the world’s top-selling prescription drug Losec (marketed as Prilosec in the US) and Seloken, the world’s leading cardio-selective beta-blocker.
- The company focuses its operations on three main therapy areas: Oncology, Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disease (CVMD), and Respiratory. T
- he CVMD segment’s portfolio has been expanded into the cardiovascular-renal area with recent assets such as ZS-9 and roxadustat, to name but two.
- AstraZenica is busy with approximately 40 projects in Phase I, comprising of 29 new molecular entities and 11 oncology combination products.
- It has about 40 projects in Phase II, as well as seven oncology combination project in this phase.
VISION & VALUES OF ASTRAZENICA PLC
- AstraZenica plc’s values define the company and its operations.
- These core principles also determine how goals are achieved, and translate into value for shareholders who purchase company shares.
- The company’s entrepreneurial spirit enables it to deliver life-changing benefits to patients.
- It maintains growth through collaboration and determination.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF ASTRAZENICA PLC
- AstraZenica plc trades on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) under the stock symbol “AZN”. The company is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index. It is also listed on the OMX and New York stock exchanges.
- For fiscal 2018, the company recorded revenue of USUS Dollar 3.387 billion, net income of USUS Dollar 2.050 billion and operating income of USUS Dollar 3.387 billion.
- This solid market presence bodes well for shareholders who buy or sell company stock as they can expect solid dividends and returns.