Antofagasta plc Shares
ANTOFAGASTA PLC (ANTO) Shares
ABOUT ANTOFAGASTA PLC
Antofagasta plc, a Chilean copper mining company, was founded in 1888 and has its headquarters in London in the United Kingdom.
The company is one of the leading conglomerates in Chile, and has equity participation in Antofagasta Minerals, Twin Metals in Minnesota, the Antofagasta/Bolivia railroad and a number of exploration joint ventures in various parts of the world.
The company had its origin as the Antofagasta (Chili) and Bolivia Railway Company Limited, incorporated in London in 1888. It raised money on the London Stock Exchange to construct and operate a railway for Antofagasta, a port in northern Chile, to La Paz, the capital of Bolivia.
Following acquisition of control by the Luksic Group, the company began to diversify into mining and other sectors in the 1980s.
Its mining operations produce copper with by-products of gold, molybdenum and silver.
The Pelambres and Centinela mines produce copper concentrate comprising of gold and silver, whilst Antucoya and Zaldivar produce copper cathodes.
Today, the company employs approximately 5 600 people across its operations.
OVERVIEW OF ANTOFAGASTA PLC
- Antofagasta plc is engaged in by-product production and also has transport interests.
- The company conducts its business through a host of segments. These include Los Pelambres, Michilla, Antucoya, Centinela and Zaldivar; Exploration and Evaluation; Railway and Other Transport Services; Mining; Water Concession, and Corporate and Other Items.
- The company’s transport division operates the Antofagasta Region’s main cargo transport system. This system offers access to Bolivia and the ports of Mejillones and the city of Antorfagasta, and moves goods and materials such as sulfuric acid and copper cathodes. The latter is managed by Antofagasta Terminal Internacional (ATI), in which the company owns a stake.
- The company’s growth strategy focuses on controlling capital costs and optimising production from existing operations.
- By managing projects responsibly and constantly monitoring the efficiency of its mines, plants and transport infrastructure, the company manages to maintain steady growth.
VISION & VALUES OF ANTOFAGASTA PLC
- Antofagasta plc’s whole business strategy revolves around a love of people. It believes in – and respects – people and cares about their well-being.
- The company engages with is workforce, partners and stakeholders in a collaborative manner. It continuously seeks the best possible results through operational discipline and efficiency, as well as the effective use of resources.
- The company continuously seeks to create value for its employees, partners and shareholders who purchase shares.
- Innovation is a permanent practice in its operations, and it rewards creative ideas and forward-thinking.
- It tackles challenges courageously and understands that this business strategy is a long-term commitment.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF ANTOFAGASTA PLC
- Antofagasta plc trades on the London Stock Exchange (LSE) under the stock symbol “ANTO”. The company is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
- For fiscal 2018, it recorded total revenue of US$ 4.733 million, operating income of US$ 1.367 million and net income of US$ 880.3 million.
- These solid financials afford shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of lucrative dividends and returns.