ANGLO AMERICAN (AAL) Shares
ABOUT ANGLO AMERICAN
? Anglo American plc, a British multinational mining company, was founded in 1917 in South Africa and has its headquarters in London and Johannesburg, South Africa. It is the world’s biggest producer of platinum (40% of world output).
? The company is also a major producer of diamonds, copper, nickel, iron ore and metallurgical and thermal coal. It operates in Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe and North and South America.
? The Anglo American Corporation (AAC) was established by Sir Ernest Oppenheimer, a German Jewish émigré in Johannesburg in 1917. Financial backing came from the American bank J.P. Morgan & Co, as well as from £ 1 million raised from UK and United States sources, reflected in the name of the company.
? AAC became the majority stakeholder in De Beers in 1926.
? The company’s geologists constantly seek for new sources of the minerals that make modern life possible. Its strategy is to secure, develop and operate a portfolio of long-life and high-quality resource assets through which to deliver market-leading dividends and returns for shareholders who purchase company shares.
? Today, the company employs approximately 70 000 people across its global operations.
OVERVIEW OF ANGLO AMERICAN
- Anglo American plc sources, develops, mines, processes and markets a diversified and high-quality portfolio of products comprising bulk commodities, base metals and minerals, and precious metals and minerals.
- The company is the UK based owner of De Beers. It has a mineral portfolio of about 35 competitive assets that produce bulk commodities and minerals.
- The company has a strong focus on exploration, and spent USUS Dollar 113 million in 2018 towards this end. To stay profitable and ahead in the market, the company continually seeks deposits to develop and mine in a safe and sustainable way.
- Because of the development progress in the mining industry, this search for deposits takes the company into more remote and extreme environments. Its exploration teams focus on key mineral belts with central oversight on project and commodity priorities.
- The company’s search strategy is founded on two pillars: greenfield exploration (searches for new resources) and brownfield exploration (identifies additional resources near existing operations).
- Anglo American only utilises the latest technologies, some of which it had developed itself.
VISION & VALUES OF ANGLO AMERICAN
- Anglo American plc follows a growth strategy it calls “Living up to Diamonds”. This means the company is passionately united in action and purpose, acts with integrity and openness in all of its operations, care deeply about its employees and partners, and shapes the future through innovation.
- This business ethos creates value for stakeholders and stimulates growth.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF ANGLO AMERICAN
- Anglo American plc trades on the on the Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE) under the stock symbol “AAL”. The company is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index and has a secondary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- For fiscal 2018, the company recorded total revenue of USUS Dollar 2.610 million, operating income of USUS Dollar 5.970 million and net income of USUS Dollar 4.373 million.
- Shareholders who buy or sell company shares can therefore expect solid dividends and returns.